Help us get more Stumblers!

Do people ever assume you don't speak English?

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Dealing with racism in the work place and ethical issues

What do you do when your boss inadvertently offends you by asking "so which Mexican radio station do you listen to and where do you buy your rice and beans?" he may as well have asked "where do you store your donkey." right? But this isn't the whole enchilada mijitas, this gem of a boss believes that just because someone does not speak English, they are fair game in the business world to be taken. Now this is a quote "with the Spanish speakers, we don't care because they don't know all the rules and regulations." This was said to me on my very first day, shocking, so much so I wanted to reach across the table slap him up and down the cubicles and leave forever, but I didn't. In this economy things are so tight, and jobs so ludicrously hard to come by that I have a plan, play the player.

This company enters into what they believe our legally binding contracts, with people who can't read or understand said contracts are written in, disgusting, illegal, unethical and amoral. When I asked why they didn't have documents in Spanish the response was "we're still trying to work that out." This is not a mom and pop either, they have several locations throughout California and easily have the ability to obtain these general forms in Spanish, Mandarin, or even Arabic, it just takes a little foresight and some time and money to do so. My plan is in action and hopefully I won't have to work for el diablo for too long, wish me luck chicas, I'm going to need it!

No comments:

Post a Comment